Speckled Trout On Demand: Best Spots & Lures (LIVE Video)

how to catch speckled trout

If you love catching trout, you’re going to love this episode.

Join Luke and me LIVE as we drift grass flats and catch lots of trout, ladyfish, and Spanish mackerel.

One of us even caught the elusive and highly-valued pinfish, although I won’t embarrass them and say who it was (hint: it wasn’t me).

This day was one of those crummy, windy, winter days that most people would just stay home on.

However, just like you can’t pick the weather on Saturday morning, we can’t pick the weather when we decide to film the podcast.

So we did the best we could with what we had to show you how you can actually get a ton of tight lines and have a blast on the water (even on bad days).

This type of fishing is great for fishing with friends, neighbors, family members, and especially kids because there was non-stop action.

You’ll also learn:

• The best types of spots to fish when you just want tight lines and lots of fish in the boat
  • Why using a paddletail without the tail can be good in some scenarios
  • How drifting just a few feet can completely shut down the bite
  • What factors are most important when it comes to choosing a spot (even more important than tide)
  • And much more!

I definitely recommend watching the video below, but you can also listen to the audio by clicking the play button under the video, or on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify.

P.S. Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify and leave us a review!

Speckled Trout On Demand [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to join the Salt Strong Insider Club

➡ Click here to claim your FREE pack of Slam Shady paddletails

➡ See the Insider Spot Dissection Lesson From This Trip

Speckled Trout On Demand [PODCAST]

salt strong podcast itunes
salt strong podcast stitcher

salt strong podcast spotify

Note: Don’t forget to subscribe to the Salt Strong podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify and leave us a review!

➡ Click here to join the Salt Strong Insider Club

Related episodes:

Conclusion

catch trout in winter

What a trip!

To catch a ton of fish on this day we drifted the grass flats and made sure to fish the deeper holes where the fish were holding.

If you have any questions about catching trout or other species in the winter, let us know in the comments below.

We were both using the Slam Shady paddletail and you can get your FREE pack by clicking here.

If you have any requests for types of fishing trips for us to go on or guests to bring on these live podcasts, leave a comment!

And finally, if you know someone who wants to get non-stop action on the water, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

P.S. Want access to the best fishing spots, tips, and exclusive gear and discounts? Click here to join us and +12,000 other anglers in the Insider Club!

Stop Wasting Time On The Water!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

Tug a lug
Tug a lug

Are Spotted trout catchable from the shore along Alabama’s Gulf coast? How would you suggest going about it?

RICHARD FIORENTINO
RICHARD FIORENTINO

Have you ever thought about using a de-hooker so you limit the handling of the fish?

Chuck Bissler
Chuck Bissler

Where do you get then “Slam Shady’s”

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Chuck Bissler

Here’s a link you can use to claim a free pack (just have to pay the small shipping cost): https://www.saltstrong.com/slam-shady-free-pack/

Jeremiah Thomas
Jeremiah Thomas

Great video guys! But what happened with the paddle boarders? Haha

Luke Simonds
Admin

Haha! They got back safe and sound.

JIM JACOBUS
JIM JACOBUS

Enjoyed the video. Always informative and entertaining. The remarks about getting the lure down to the strike zone had me thinking about weight and material. It seems that the Z-man paddletails are more bouyant than for instance, Slayer paddletails. I started getting more strikes when I went from 1/8oz. to 3/16oz. jig head (with same retrieve speed and water depth). The Slam Shady (minus the tail) becomes a Shady lil’ jon and is great for finding trout! Keep those videos coming.

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  JIM JACOBUS

Thanks for making time to leave the helpful comment Jim! Yes, the buoyancy of the tails need to be considered when matching your jig head and tail to the depth coverage you need.

Jim Woodmansee
Jim Woodmansee

Great video. Love watching you guys banter. One note about Luke’s comment about having to spend more time working the trolling motor to keep within casting distance in the wind, I installed a Minn Kota iPilot on my pontoon boat and it has a “hold your spot” button (not sure if that is what it is actually called) but I was fishing the Midpoint Bridge on the Caloosahatchee river yesterday in a fair breeze and a fairly strong current and it held my spot near the bridge abutment really well; didn’t have to fool with it at all until I was ready to move to the next one. This feature really works and I highly recommend it! Spend more time fishing.

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Jim Woodmansee

Yes, those GPS linked trolling motors are a huge advantage when fishing deeper water. I am slow to make the change because my favorite fishing is sight fishing up in the shallows, and I prefer the tiller style motor for that.

Teresa McCullough

Love the live podcast, keep them up!

Luke Simonds
Admin

Thanks for making time to leave the nice comment Teresa!

Steven Carter
Steven Carter

when too deep for power pole, would you consider using a mushroom-type anchor?

Jim Woodmansee
Jim Woodmansee
Reply to  Steven Carter

I use my “hold your spot” button on my Minn Kota iPilot trolling motor. The wind or tide may still swing your stern around (like if you had only one power pole) but it keeps the bow (if bow-mounted) within roughly 5ft of your spot (like a bridge abuttment).

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Steven Carter

The mushroom anchors don’t do a very good job at holding a boat in place if there is a decent amount of wind and/or current. So we recommend going with an anchor that can dig into the bottom more effectively so that it won’t be prone to drag the bottom.

Steven Carter
Steven Carter
Reply to  Steven Carter

Thanks! @James…I don’t think there’s a spot-lock on the boat in the video so I wondered about a quiet small anchor to deploy since it seemed distracting to reposition the TM so frequently and water was too deep for PP.

. Thanks for your advice. I have a small Danforth on my boat but was thinking a mushroom style might work…sounds like it won’t hold the bottom well enough so I’ll re-evaluate. Thanks!

Daniel McNulty
Daniel McNulty

Hi Guys….Your Podcasts are something I really look forward to…keep it up. You two and the rest of the Salt Strong Team make us anglers feel as comfortable as a old favorite pair of boat shoes!

Bernard Kosicki
Bernard Kosicki

Joe and Luke, I’m really enjoying the live fishing pod casts. Please continue to post those.
Thanks, Bernie

Art Heiter
Art Heiter

These short live videos are priceless. Be nice to see you combination up with Tony and occasionally other members around the state doing the same thing from kayaks and paddleboards. Goes a long way toward keeping it real. Nice video on a number of levels!

JOHN BURKE
JOHN BURKE

Planning on fishing the Panama City area for trout and redfish this weekend. Any suggestions with the huge amounts of rainfall.

Nathan Lindell
Nathan Lindell

First of all, I absolutely love the live fishing videos, no editing, shows success as well as the struggle. Please keep doing those. I would love to see a video of Z-man vs. Saltwater Assassin plastics (my personal favorites). Lately we’ve been using a grub tail and nothing seems to be able to resist it. Also, I went through my pack of Z-mans about 10X faster than the Assassins because they slip down the jig head so much more, they would almost just come off. Just my thoughts, because we almost exclusively use all plastics these days. Other people have suggested using super glue on the nose to help resist slippage but I don’t really need it with the SA’s. My current favorites are the Green Moon and the Sugar and Spice.

And I know that ya’ll discussed this in the video but I have never owned a trolling motor but I am starting to think that not having one is a major disadvantage. Here in south texas it is almost always very windy, your video kind of proves that it is a huge advantage vs. anchoring all of the time, or even drifting, which we currently do a lot of.

One last question, not really relating to your video: Lately we have been catching a ton, and I mean a ton, of undersized fish. Like an inch short. We literally catch 10 or 15 trout that are 14.5″ here lately. What are your thoughts on this? My only thought is maybe switching to a larger bait, maybe a 5″, thinking the little guys won’t hit the larger plastic.

Rick Trester
Rick Trester

The bird is a comorant

Tom Hood
Tom Hood

Yes, i like these podcasts and game plans for the conditions. Please keep doing these.
I just upgraded from monthly insider to annual!

Capt. Ray Markham
Capt. Ray Markham

Guys, I realize you are making these videos for the world wide web, and not just for the West Central Florida and SW Florida region where trout are under an emergency closure and we have to release them all right now, but you should reconsider your release techniques. Handling trout with bare dry hands will remove the fish’s protective slime coat, leaving them open to disease and fungal infections that can ultimately kill these fish. Trout are fragile and have as much as a 10% release mortality according to studies done by Mote Marine Labs in Sarasota. There are several release tools available that you can release these fish without touching them or even removing them from the water that would help ensure a good release that they would survive. I use several. One is the long version of the stainless Baker Hookout. The other is a J-shaped heavy wire about 3/32 diameter stainless wire with a T-handle. I’ve heard them called a Catfish Flipper. To just control the fish while in the water, I use a Boga Grip. With the use of these tools most times, you can release the fish without removing them from the water but nearly always release them without touching them. Thanks, guys. Your videos help a lot of folks who still struggle to catch fish.

Capt. Ray Markham
Capt. Ray Markham
Reply to  Joseph Simonds

Excellent. We’ll all look forward to it. Thanks.

Robert Ricketts
Robert Ricketts

What camera are you using for your videos if you don’t mind me asking

Thomas Manley
Thomas Manley

I was told that if you are catching small trout then it is time to move on since that is all you will be catching at that spot. Is that true???

Thomas Manley
Thomas Manley
Reply to  Thomas Manley

By the way….I missed Otis. 🙁

Thom Ray
Thom Ray

????. Where’s Otis ?? How can you NOT bring Otis along ?
Two men and camera man. And no Otis ??

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  Thom Ray

Otis and expensive camera equipment is a risky combination:)

John Martin
John Martin

It just great this live video, make you one of us ,real close

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  John Martin

Thanks for making time to leave the nice comment John!

David Dishongh
David Dishongh

Made my maiden voyage on my New old town 106 pdl . Still confused about how to find the holes in Texas’ murky water. I love the podcasts. You guys are awesome.

Luke Simonds
Admin
Reply to  David Dishongh

Thanks for the kind words David! It’s tougher to find the holes in murky water areas, but there are some tricks to use with the online maps that are explained in this lesson of the Finding Spots Mastery course: https://www.saltstrong.com/spotsmastery/spots-mastery/using-online-maps/murky-water-tips/

Thomas Marks
Thomas Marks

Excellent video/podcast. Good to see how a little change in depth can make a difference. Those trout were definitely hanging in the holes. Looking forward to you next podcast.

James Loesch
James Loesch

This is a great video as it shows fishing is not always catching. It’s about who you are with and you both put on a great show. Love seeing the different styles of fishing the slam shady lures. Luke is always adding in the twitches (tailless) while Joe is pretty much a straight retrieve. (W/tail) keep up the good work and thanks for a quality product.

Dave Otte
Dave Otte

I Love seeing the Simonds brothers fishing! I know that you both do a lot of work to keep our club moving forward, but there’s nothing like seeing you both out there actually doing what we’re all about – fishing. It’s great to see the transparency on the trips like you had on this one. No other fishing shows would do that. This is real, and that’s what we’re all about – making the reality better and more fun! Thank you for being who God created you to be, and nothing else. I love this place, thank you for letting me be a part of it!

Thomas Campbell
Thomas Campbell

Awesome video! A lot of people say you can’t fish the flats in the winter. And here y’all are on a flat. Can you give more info about flats fishing in the winter please. I know depth changes are huge

Luke Simonds
Admin

Thanks Thomas! I just posted a detailed Insider Report showing the exact spot along with the key things to look for to quickly identify similar spots like this that’ll be holding a good amount of fish during cold and windy days. Here’s a link: https://www.saltstrong.com/insiders/insider-report-for-trout-on-demand-podcast-video-spot-dissection/

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

How To Rig A Popping Cork For Redfish, Flounder, Snook, & Trout

Do you want to see exactly how to rig popping corks to maximize your strikes while fishing for redfish, snook, or trout? Then watch this new video tip.

How To Rig Live Shrimp Under A Popping Cork (For More Strikes)

Want to see the best way to rig live shrimp under a popping cork? Learn how to rig them without killing them, where to place the hook, and how to...