Science-Based Strategies To Catch Redfish (With Capt. Caleb McCumber)
One of the secrets to catching more redfish is knowing the biology of the fish…
So saddle up for one of our best redfish podcasts yet!
Capt. Caleb McCumber and Salt Strong fishing coach Wyatt Parcel absolutely crush it in this podcast about the science of redfish.
Listen in as they discuss redfish migration, why redfish can be found in certain types of areas during certain times of the year, best lures and bait for redfish, and much more.
If you love catching redfish, then you’ll love this video!
Scientific Redfish Tactics [VIDEO]
Scientific Redfish Tactics [PODCAST]
- UNIQUE REDFISH & TROUT RIGS (THAT ARE UNDERRATED BUT WORK GREAT)
- ONE YEAR, ONE PADDLETAIL LURE, HUNDREDS OF SNOOK & REDFISH!!
Here’s a timestamped table of contents:
- 1:40 – Learn about Caleb and how he got started
- 5:46 – Teachers learning from teachers
- 7:26 – What types of bait do redfish key in on during the seasons
- 8:29 – How cold fronts push tides and in return, push baitfish
- 11:05 – What do redfish eat during the winter?
- 12:07 – Wade fishing in the wintertime
- 15:02 – Spring redfish are magical gifts, here’s why
- 16:39 – This is when you need to switch up to small, flashy lures
- 18:15 – Targeting drains and finding deep cuts
- 20:10 – You need to mimic smaller baitfish with this
- 22:54 – Why redfish target crustaceans and how to present your baits
- 25:03 – Do lure colors matter?
- 25:41 – Drop it like it’s hot (presenting baits at the right depth)
- 27:11 – Summer redfish tactics
- 28:28 – Surf fishing and river fishing
- 29:25 – The key to fishing for reds during summer
- 30:02 – DO2: Dissolved oxygen levels and why it’s important to fishing
- 32:07 – Here are the tides to target redfish
- 34:03 – This is the ideal fish habitat
- 34:21 – What is an eddy?
- 36:59 – Best dirty water fishing tactics for redfish
- 38:55 – Make some noise!
- 40:02 – Using baits to create attention
- 44:20 – Why and when to change up your retrieve
- 46:19 – The science behind redfish feeding patterns
If you want to get out on the water with Capt. Caleb, book a trip here.
Knowing the science behind why redfish feed where they do and when they do is just another piece of the fishing puzzle.
Learning the seasonality of baits that redfish target is also a big part of knowing what lures to use.
Once you understand the where, the when, and the why, you’ll start catching way more redfish!
Have questions about the feeding habits of redfish?
Let me know down in the comments!
And if you know someone who targets redfish year-round, please TAG or SHARE this with them!
P.S. Want access to our best fishing spots and tips, plus discounts to our online tackle store? Click here to join us in the Insider Club!
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: