Where & When To Catch Inshore Flounder (No Matter Where You Live)

Have you heard of the 90-10 rule?

It states that 90% of the fish are going to be in 10% of the water.

It’s true for all fish, but especially flounder.

If you’re using an attractive search bait, like a paddletail or topwater lure, a redfish or trout might come chase it down when they hear or feel the commotion.

However, flounder plant themselves on the bottom waiting for an easy meal to swim by, so unless you put your lure right in front of their face, there’s essentially zero chance of you catching one.

To catch them, you need to be very intentional about where to find them.

So where do flounder like to hang out?

Check out the video below.

P.S. Using these tips, I was able to land my personal-best flounder, and then beat it the very next week!

The Best Place & Time To Catch Flounder [VIDEO]

Since a flounder is a flounder, no matter if it’s from Texas or North Carolina, these tips will work wherever you live.

To know where to find them, you first need to understand what and how they eat.

What & How Flounder Eat

In the spring, flounder come from their offshore winter homes to their summer inshore homes.

This is because in the springtime there’s an influx of baitfish and shrimp that show up in the marshes, creeks, and bays and these flounder are looking for easy meals.

And although all of the inshore gamefish are ambush predators, flounder take it to the next level.

Trout or snook will hunt down their prey, redfish will forage for their prey in the mud, but flounder just sit and wait for their meals to float by.

They bury themselves in the mud or sand and, with their two eyes on top of their head, look for something to float by them.

Where & When To Catch Flounder

where to find flounder

Because flounder are looking for baitfish and shrimp, and because of their ambush-style feeding habits, they need to be in places where there is lots of bait and current.

The best places where you find lots of both of those are chokepoints near estuaries.

Chokepoints, or bottlenecks, include structures like creek mouths and passes or channels near flats.

Now, how do you find the best chokepoints?

Here are two factors to look for:

1. How narrow is the area
  2. How much bait is around

A narrow creek mouth, like the one pictured above, will be much easier for flounder to catch baitfish because they’ll be more concentrated than in a wide-open pass.

And chokepoints near structure such as mangrove trees, oyster bars, grass, or docks will attract more bait.

As far as when to catch flounder, it’s all about current.

Incoming or outgoing tide doesn’t matter as much as the fact that it’s moving.

If you go at slack tide, or during a time where there is very little current, then you probably won’t catch as many flounder as if you go when the current is stronger.

Also, as mentioned earlier, flounder are mostly caught during spring, summer, and fall.

Conclusion

If you’re looking for flounder in the spring, summer, or fall, look for narrow chokepoints with structure nearby.

Bounce a jig on the bottom when the current is ripping through and wait for the strike.

Plus, don’t forget to bring your cooler (if they’re open for harvest in your area), because flounder are some of the most delicious fish in our inshore waters.

Have any questions about catching flounder?

Let us know in the comments below.

And if you know someone who would love to catch more flounder, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

Stop Wasting Your Valuable Time On The Water!

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • 20% OFF ALL of your fishing tackle (rods, reels, line, lures, and more from ALL of the biggest brands in America)

Get information to know on tactics and location

Francisco Medina

Wyatt, great video, great info, just 1 comment, perhaps when you’re describing the spots to where the footage is from you could also show the specific spot on google earth (Maps) to get a feel for it on the map as well as on the real life footage.
Thanks

lkylindy

Why not drift over the spots instead of casting from a fixed point

Kevin Stevens

How are you setting the hook . It doesn’t look like you’re jerking the rod super hard looks more like just a solid pull. Flounder sometimes dont bite real hard

Joe Anderson
Reply to  Kevin Stevens

I have noticed this too watching the videos over the last couple of months. Hopefully Wyatt will respond.

Mark McKinney

Very good, thank you…

Stuart Rhodes

I am from Eastern Long Island. These are called fluke up there. They have teeth and they are very aggressive. I have caught some 3 ft long. Doormats they’re called.Flounder up there have tiny little mouths and we used muscles for the main bait and worms. Yes

Terry Gillette

Great video and thanks for the tips. I fish in North Carolina at the South River, on the edge of the Neuse River across from Oriental NC. Being on the edge of the Pamlico Sound, we do not have tides per say, but wind tides. That being said, I assume I need to find the wind coming through choke points if possible and fish that area as if the breeze on the water was bringing in baitfish. Does that make sense and sound right? Your thoughts?

Reply to  Terry Gillette

I fish the same river and have the exact same question!

oswaldo

Great information on flounder, how often do you switch lures or would you use one that mimics a shrimp??

Tom Widman

Wyatt
Another really informative video. Great job!
I am looking forward to August 16 when we can start keeping flounder in NC. I’ll definitely start to look for chokepoints in the creeks in the upcoming weeks.
I think you are in NC as well. What area are you fishing in? I think the video you did on YoZuri topwaters was in that came creek. Thanks, Tom

Delbert Young

Great video. I will definitely begin to check out choke points. I’ve never thought about those spots for flounder. Maybe I can get them to hit the Leprechaun. I haven’t had much success with it yet. Thanks for the tip.

Clinton Preston

What size and types of books. What type of lures can be used? I’m fishing the piers in Charleston, SC.

Rick Burghardt

I moved here to Naples Florida 2 1/2 years ago I fish mostly around Marco Island mostly all mangroves, my question is what can I do to find more fish? I definitely would like to find flounder can you help me I still don’t know the area very well, I don’t have a big boat to go out on big water.

John Satterly

Thank you Wyatt for the great advice!
I live in Pawleys Island SC and your ideas about flounder are spot on for me for locating the fish. I catch most of my fish trolling mud minnows. 90% of my catches are in 10% of the water consistently.Thank you again

Bill Zimmer

Thank you Wyatt, great information. I’ve been using the slam shady 2 but bumping the Alabama leprechaun is next for me. Were you using the 3/0 or 4/0 weedless setup?

Mark Jenkin

You maybe interested in checking out some of John Skinners underwater Fluke fishing videos. He does a lot of videos on fishing up here in Long Island Sound. It was very eye opening to me. They hunt your bait more than you think. It explained why I sometimes see a Fluke blitz up here.

Last edited 4 months ago by Mark Jenkin
Mark Jenkin
Reply to  Wyatt Parcel

I’d agree. We usually find them on wide flats. I still picked 1 up in 3 feet of water the other day. Just an inch short of legal length. I just thought you’d find his videos interesting. I did enjoy yours and am going to keep those tips in mind if I ever get into a choke point situation.

Lynn McKelvey

Nice job Wyatt! Really enjoyed seeing you catch flounder on different baits. Very helpful.

Ron Vahey

Nice explanation and examples (video) of where to catch-’em! Was it three or four different baits you caught them on? Just curious is all. Thanks. Nice job!

Tom Marks

Excellent flounder tips, Wyatt. Also I have to note the technical side of the video the fades and dissolved made it very good to watch. Great work!

Phil

Great video. Share with me baits you prefer to catch flounder.

Glenn Acomb

I especially liked this video on flounder. Your other one was further offshore and often target flounder when I am inshore fishing for trout and reds. Thanks so much for this one and for its informative info and video action. Keep up doing the great job!

Dave Mckinnon