Swimbait, Crankbait, Jerkbait, & Twitchbait (What’s The Difference?)
Have you ever wondered what the best lure is for catching inshore fish in each season?
There are so many different options to choose from, such as swimbait, paddletail, crankbait, jerkbait, stickbait, twitchbait, or slashbait.
All of these different names for fishing lures can get confusing, so in this episode, we’re breaking down what the difference is between each lure, when to use them, and how to retrieve them.
You can watch the video version of this podcast below (which I highly recommend for this one), listen to the audio version by clicking the play button underneath it, or listen to it on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify.
Best Artificial Lures [VIDEO]
Best Artificial Lures [PODCAST]
- HOW TO FIND 90% OF ALL FEEDING FISH IN YOUR AREA (90/10 FISHING RULE)
- WHY MANY OF THE MOST REALISTIC SALTWATER LURES DON’T WORK…
Here’s a timestamped table of contents:
- 1:08 – What is a swimbait?
- 1:56 – What is a paddletail?
- 2:27 – What is a crankbait?
- 7:14 – What is a jerkbait?
- 7:43 – The difference between a slashbait and a jerkbait
- 8:42 – Design of a jerkbait (dart vs. split tail)
- 10:40 – Split tail action under the water
- 13:10 – Pay attention to this when rigging jerkbaits
- 14:35 – Depths of water to use a jerkbait
- 15:37 – Interchangeable names for artificial lures
- 16:03 – Jerkbait = stickbait
- 17:10 – What is a twitchbait?
- 19:18 – Scenarios to use a twitchbait
- 22:48 – Time of year to use a twitchbait
- 24:01 – What is a plug?
- 24:37 – Suspending vs. not suspending
- 26:16 – How and when to use the twitchbait
- 29:58 – Twitch, twitch, pause recipe
- 32:52 – When and how to use a stickbait
- 35:04 – Ways to adjust a jerkbait for all scenarios
- 36:52 – Let the species determine the retrieve
- 38:17 – When and how to use a crankbait
- 43:16 – When and how to use a swimbait
- 46:18 – The one lure that will allow you to cover tons of water
- 48:32 – Most universal lure to throw
- 50:23 – Breaking news!
Here are some examples of the lures we discussed:
With so many options for artificial fishing lures, it can be quite confusing on what to use in various situations.
Knowing what lure to use, when to use it, how to use it, and when to change it up are all factors that play a role in your success on the water.
What is your favorite type of artificial lure to use?
Let me know down in the comments!
And if you know someone who wants to learn more about the differences in artificial lures, please TAG or SHARE this with them!
P.S. Want access to our best fishing spots and tips, plus discounts to our online tackle store? Click here to join us in the Insider Club!
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: