3 Of The Best Lures For Catching Big Tarpon (VIDEO)
The answer to the “best lures for big tarpon” question will most likely vary depending on who is answering the question.
And just like most other lure questions, the most important variable to consider above lure choice is the location of the feeding zones for whichever species is being targeted.
But once fish are found, having a good lure for the job is of course important too.
And selecting the best one for encounters with big tarpon can be tough because the lures for them are often large and expensive.
So instead of trying to answer this question that came in recently with a specific lure, I wanted to simply share a few that worked well for me last year.
And then seek out other suggestions from you about which lures you’ve found to work for tarpon too.
Best Lures for Big Tarpon
Here are 3 attributes that I consider when loading my tackle box for some good options for any big tarpon that I may come across while out on the inshore and nearshore waters.
- Running Depth: Lure must run at the proper depth based on where the tarpon are feeding
- Size: Lure must resemble something that they are likely to be feeding on
- Castability: Lure must be able to be presented to the tarpon without spooking it
So my theory is to always have a few lures that all cast very long distances while having slightly different depth coverages and sizes.
This way, I can generally find one that works in most situations.
My Favorite Lures For Big Tarpon
- DOA Baitbuster (4 ft to 10 ft depths – smaller profile)
- Livetarget Mullet (4 ft to 10 ft depths – larger than DOA Baitbuster with more vibration)
- Spooltek (5 ft to 14 ft depths – larger profile with vibrating tail)
- DOA Swimming Mullet (10 ft to 25 ft depths – smaller profile, but it is good for covering the deeper zones)
But then there are days like this when they all seem to work:
These 4 lures are surely just a small selection of choices that can be used to target big tarpon.
Please take a moment to leave a comment down below to share your favorite lure to pull out when you come across some big tarpon.
I’m planning to target them more this summer, so I’ll gladly beef up my tarpon lure collection based on your feedback.
Note: Please share this post with your friends who enjoy tarpon fishing too so that they can participate in the discussion too.
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: