How Much Line Do You Need On Your Inshore Spinning Reel

How much line do you really need for inshore saltwater fishing?

If you’re targeting redfish, trout, snook, and flounder back in the bays or on the flats, it’s a lot less than you may think.

And there’s a difference between how much you need to land a fish versus how much you need to have on your reel.

Check out the new video below that explains the difference!

How Much Line Do You Need? [VIDEO]

It’s rare that you’ll need more than 100 yards but 150 will definitely keep you covered!

You can do a monofilament backing if 150 yards of braided line is not enough to fill up the spool.

There may be times that you hook into a bigger fish that’s cruising the shallows.

But there’s no reason to get spooled.

When you see your line getting low, grab your spool to break the line.

You don’t want to leave all of that line out in the water.

One last thing to keep in mind is that different reels have different size spools.

There’s no one size fits all answer to how much line to put on your reel.

Here are some other helpful tips on this subject:

Have any questions about how much line you need?

Let me know down in the comments!

And if you know someone who will be spooling their reels soon, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

John Hanson

Hey guys. How do you count the yards you are putting on the reel with no line counter? I have worked in shops and it is easy there. I do not now and I have not figured out the best way to get it exactly 100yds on the reel? Thanks
I agree. 100yds is plenty for any inshore species unless you run into a Tarpon. But even then in a boat you can run them down.

David Lee Kalb Jr.

No excuse for leaving braided line in trees, water,or land. I see where people snag, and just cut off at the rod. 😠

JEFFREY JOHN BABINO

I would rather have a little bit more line then not enough about 200 yards

Dave Otte

Hi Luke, do you notice a difference with the new TFO Professional rod you have? How would you compare it to the Bull Bay Salt Strong rod? I know you’ll do a review just looking for your quick opinion. Thanks Brother!

Oliver Clarke

Great video Luke, as always. 75 yards is plenty for me, gets 4 spools from a 300 yard power pro package.
I load the braid first, measured distance on the street. Then mono till I get a nice 1/8″ gap. Reverse the line behind the trolling boat threading the line through a hole in a scrap piece of wood to help pull the line off the spool while holding the mono end. After all the braid is out, the wood scrap is lost. let it wiggle in the current for a while to shake off any line twists. Arbor knot the mono end and retrieve.

Pablo

Nice tip Luke – thanks

Mario Relvini

Keep these videos coming Luke. Very basic info but very useful to beginners.

Braden

Just curious, what were the two reels you used to compare? Brand, model? Thanks

Oliver Clarke

Anyone have experience with the Piscifun Fishing Line Spooler? Claims to eliminate line twists.

Pablo
Reply to  Oliver Clarke

I have one and use it all the time. So far it has worked well for me.

Oliver Clarke
Reply to  Pablo

Thanks. I work at a marina where I spool up new reels every week for rental rods. We’ve had lots of line twist problems. Maybe this is the best solution.

Oliver Clarke

Outstanding! Thanks for this advice which saved me from wasting $$. I think I might finally understand line twist. I’ll be doing the reels for the marina by your method. Will drag the lines behind a trolling boat to shake off the twist.

Chris Bird

Last edited 2 months ago by Chris Bird

Tarpon Tactics: Where, When, & How To Catch The Silver King

Have you always wanted to catch a tarpon but aren't sure where to start? These fish are often very hard to catch but if you have...

How To Catch Black Drum (Plus Free PDF Catch Card)

Want to catch more black drum? Check out these tips on where to find black drum, what bait to use, when the best time of year is, and more!

How To Transport Your Paddle Board Hands-Free [VIDEO]

Do you want to see the best way I've found to transport your paddle board (even without using your hands)? Then check out this cool strap. Enjoy.