Redfish Bait Challenge: Dead Shrimp Vs Cut Mullet

Dead shrimp and cut mullet are two of the most common baits that catch redfish.

But I wanted to test which one would produce more fish (and better quality fish).

So in this video, you’ll learn:

• How to make a Carolina rig for these baits
  • If dead shrimp outperforms cut mullet
  • And more.

Check it out below!

Dead Shrimp Vs Cut Mullet For Redfish [VIDEO]

How To Make A Carolina Rig

Step 1: Put a 1/2 oz egg sinker on your main line.

Note: Be sure to use the weight that is appropriate to the current and depths you are fishing.

Step 2: Tie your main line to a swivel.

Step 3: Then tie a leader line to the bottom part of the swivel.

I’m using 20# Ande Monofilament.

Step 4: Tie your hook to your leader line and add bait.

Dead Shrimp – 2/0 Owner Mutu Light Circle Hook

Cut Mullet – 4/0 or 5/0 Owner Mutu Light Circle Hook

Note: Match your hook size to your bait size.

Dead Shrimp Vs Cut Mullet Challenge

Before I could even set up my cameras, I had a redfish on!

I had dead shrimp on one rod and cut mullet on another rod at the same time and in the same place.

My rods were so close to give each bait a fair battle that I got tangled up several times.

The contest started out with one redfish on the mullet and one on the shrimp.

But at the end of the challenge, the cut mullet outperformed in numbers and size of the fish!

Also, I was constantly having to check my shrimp rig because small fish were picking it off the hook.

This is so time-consuming and you could be missing out on fish!

Conclusion

dead shrimp vs cut mullet

Both dead shrimp and cut mullet soaking on the bottom catch redfish.

But in this challenge, cut mullet more than outperformed dead shrimp (in numbers and in size)!

Have any questions about how to rig up these baits?

Let me know in the comments below!

And if you know someone who uses dead baits for redfish, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

Matthew Lanier

Awesome video Austin!

Killed it my man! Way to nail the challenge!
Can’t wait to see more videos buddy! Tight lines!

Steven Withey

Does it really matter there’s going to be no fish in the Tampa bay region

Greg Boevin

Good info as always !! What size cut mullet were you using ?

Jason Stewart

Great idea for a video Austin, and very interesting results. Thank you for sharing with us. You do a great job with your videos and glad to have you on the Saltstrong team sharing your experience with us. 👍

Victor Gatell Jr

A friend of mine told me that cut mullet under the mangroves…Deadly

David Bush

Good stuff. I’d like to see how a big chunk of Fishbites does against natural baits for redfish.

Rich

thanks – could be less footage of landing and releasing fish, more about rigging bait

Mike Maixner

If I am able to catch a variety of sizes of fresh live mullet in the casting net, is it better to use live finger mullet, or to cut up one of the big boys into 1-2 inch chunks, or to cut the finger mullet in half and use those? And second question, how big of a bell did you install in your reel? I would love to use that sound as my alarm clock and wake up to the sound of drag screaming like that.

Gary Brady

Great video Austin, cut bait, mullet or ladyfish is popular by me for reds.

Michael Kucich

What size cut mullet were you using and was it fresh or frozen?

How To STOP Losing Flounder At The Boat (4 Tips)

Want to quit losing flounder at the boat? These fish are some of the hardest to land, but with these four tips you can finally stop...

How To Transition From Bass Fishing To Inshore Saltwater Fishing

If you're a bass angler and you want to start catching more saltwater fish, you've got to check this out! Tony is sharing his journey from freshwater to...
1 comment