How to Dock Your Boat By Yourself (Even If It’s Really Windy)

It’s boat docking time!

Nobody wants to look like a complete newbie in front of a crowded boat ramp…

But unless you know how to dock your boat by yourself when the wind is blowing and the current is ripping, then chances are it’ll happen to you.

But don’t worry — in this video, you’ll learn exactly how to dock your boat like a pro in these tough conditions.

I’ll show you which side of the dock is harder to pull your boat up to, which side is easier, and how to dock your boat on both sides in case you have no choice.

Plus, you’ll learn an easy trick to make sure your boat doesn’t float away when you’re trying to tie it off to the dock.

Enjoy!

Docking Your Boat By Yourself In The Wind [VIDEO]

How To Dock Your Boat On The Easy Side Of The Dock

The easy side to dock your boat on when it’s windy is the side that is upwind.

On days with calm winds and a light current, you can drive your boat right up to the side of the dock.

But on days when the wind and/or current is ripping, it’s a little tougher.

If you’re docking on the upwind side, you just need to make one small adjustment: drive your boat to an imaginary dock that’s 3-5 feet over.

When you get to that spot, the wind will gently take you into the dock and you can get out and tie off your boat.

Be sure to tie down whichever side the wind is pushing first.

In this video, the wind was pushing my boat from the back, so I tied down the back first.

How To Dock Your Boat On The Hard Side Of The Dock

On a busy day, the dock may be full and you’ll have no choice but to dock your boat on the downwind (more difficult) side.

This is more difficult because the wind gives you just a small window of opportunity to get your boat to the side of the dock, get out, and grab the ropes to control your boat.

But thankfully, there’s a trick to make this a lot easier.

Here it is: before you approach the dock, have two lines right next to you ready to grab before you step off of the boat onto the dock.

One line will be connected to the back of the boat, and one will be connected to the front.

Having control of both ends of the boat will make this process much easier.

Now, as you approach the dock, come in at about a 45-degree angle, keeping it in neutral for the most part.

Then, at the last second, do a sharp turn and put your motor in gear to bring the side of your boat right up to the dock.

Grab both of the lines, step onto the dock, and tie off your boat.

The reason you grab both lines before you step off the boat is because it’s way too easy for the front of your boat to swing out if you only have a rope controlling the back of the boat.

Conclusion

pathfinder docking

Docking your boat in the wind by yourself might seem difficult if you don’t know what you’re doing.

But if you plan ahead for the current and wind and use these tips, then it’s actually much easier than you think.

Have any questions about docking your boat?

Let me know down in the comments!

And if you know someone who needs to learn how to dock their boat better, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

Jeff

Please dont say “rope”, its a “line” Landlubbers use rope sailors use line 🙂 Great video though I will defiantly follow your instructions next time out appreciate the video thanks!!!

Jeff

Just messing with you. In the small boating world you are correct I would imagine. Aboard ship we would never call anything a rope, even if it was in a coil not being used, you would still addresses it a a line no matter where it was or how it was stored, again just playin!! But for real your videos are awesome, and have helped me learn so much more about inshore fishing then anything I have ever read or watched, you are the man and I appreciate the tutorials very much so thank you

Jim Coster

Coming from having 2 engines and good control, this was very helpful and I will have 2 Lines ready when I dock. One on the Bow and one on the Stern; or if you prefer forward and aft. Sorry, my father made me read Chapman Piloting: Seamanship & Small Boat Handling at a very young age. 🙂

Thomas Phillips

That new Pathfinder is awesome!

Stephen Nagel

I fish alone most of the time and have found that tying off a 15 ft line to the grab rail of my center console I can easily get out and pull the center of the boat to the dock with just the single line.

Christy Adams

Great video. I’m a weekend warrior and tense moments coming in to dock. I dry stow, so would love to see docking stern first versus bow first.
Nail biter for me!

Ben Skinner

Fenders…they really help keep the side of the boat from getting beat up if you come in too hot, wind blows you against the dock or other boat wakes push you against the dock. Easy to loop around cleats through hawse pipes and deploy before you attempt to dock.

Practice…the thing most people neglect and the real key to the whole thing. Taking an hour and just simple practice maneuvering the boat on a quiet weekday with few or no people launching and loading. Then with a little practice you look like a pro on the weekend.

You should also probably do a video on showing how to prepare your boat while not blocking the ramp…ie preparing it in the launching loading area instead while sitting on the main ramp while everyone else gives you the stink eye.

Last edited 1 year ago by Ben Skinner
Thomas Palmer

Nice video being a trailer sailor till I moved to a Port Charlotte canal home. The only thing I do different is one long continuous line from front cleat to the rear one. That way one end of one of the ropes will not come out of your hand. Tight lines and stay healthy.

Bill Woodhouse

Would it really be so hard to use apprpriate nautical terminology (bow, stern, lines, etc.)?

Bill Woodhouse

I just feel that if the basic terminology is ditched at the level of an elementary lesson like this, folks new to the sport may not learn the language of boating at all, or even come to think that it is unnecessary or elitist. Then they will be unprepared to gather information from standard sources such as boating magazines, the CFR, the NAVRULES or even ATON pamphlets. Fishermen should set the example as competent and safe boaters.

SFC D Monk

Great video Luke, I think back to the first time I let my (then) teen-age son park our bass boat on the hard side of our slip. I will remember his 35 years ago comment. “Where’s the brake,” he was coming in a little hot, so I told him it was in his right hand (throttle). Many years later fishing with two naval officers on their boat, the Warrant Officer had another comment I will never forget, he said, “It’s impossible to dock a boat too slow.” Thanx chief, looks like Luke pays attention, I know I do.

SFC D Monk
Reply to  SFC D Monk

But, I do enjoy watching the antics at the ramp with the week-end warrior!

Vincent C Ruggiero

Hi Luke! Great advice! I would really love to learn docking like this. But before I do, any advice as to how I can buy a Pathfinder? 😉

Last edited 1 year ago by Vincent C Ruggiero
Phillip McCoy

The water is shallow at the dock I primarily use so I anchor the back of the boat with my power pole and tie the front. Timing the deployment of the power pole can be tricky though especially in windy conditions. This technique will be helpful on those days.

Penn Battle III Review: Updates, Specs, Pros, & Cons

Looking for a new inshore spinning reel? Check out this review of the new Penn Battle III. Penn has really stepped up their game by...

Boat Vs. Kayak: Pros, Cons, & Which Vessel Is Right For You

Are you debating whether a boat versus a kayak is right for you? Both are capable of helping you catch a ton of fish but there are big...

Get Instant Access To “The Inshore Fishing Manifesto” PDF Now

You’ll automatically be emailed a private link to download your PDF, plus you’ll be added to the Salt Strong Newsletter.
(Please double-check your email below to ensure delivery.)