This Is Why You Should Not Leave Your Soft Plastics On Hooks

Sure, it’s easier to just leave your soft plastic lures on the hook after you’re done fishing.

You’ve rinsed down your gear so it should be okay, right?

Nope!

In this video, you’ll learn why you shouldn’t leave your soft plastic lures on your hooks.

Check it out below!

Leaving Soft Plastic Lures On Hooks [VIDEO]

Even though the outside of the hook and lure is dry and clean, there will still be some residual salt and moisture in between the plastic and the hook itself.

And over time that is going to cause your hooks to start rusting faster.

This can cause you to lose fish because your hook can break if it’s rusted.

When you do take your soft plastic lure off of your hook, take your time and try not to rip it.

The only exception is with Owner Twist Lock Hooks.

You can leave the spring in but take hook out.

But ALWAYS take your lures off of jig heads.

You will most likely rip or damage your lure but it’s better than rusting out your hooks.

Here is the tackle I used in this presentation:

Have any questions about leaving your lures on hooks?

Let me know down in the comments!

And if you want 20% off of all your soft plastic lures, click here to join us in the Insider Club.

Matthew Lanier

Great info as usual Tony!

Josh Nickel

I had this epiphany a couple weeks ago, but I wasn’t as much concerned about the hooks but rather the potential for any scent contamination from being stored. Which you made a good point on one of your other posts about gloves, because similarly I have been concerned about sunscreen and hand sanitizer/soap contamination.

Richard Fiorentino

Thanks for one more thing to worry about

Steven Free

While this tip does make sence I never thought about it or lost any fish for that matter from rusted hooks but thanks for the tip and all you do

Jeanne Newmeyer

This good advise, of course if you are going back out the next day it doesn’t make a big difference,

M Seaman

Like A Rollins, I roll through my hooks and jig heads fast enough that I don’t think I have experienced this problem. To me, this begs the question, how long will a hook or jighead last if the soft plastic is not removed? Are we talking days, weeks, or months?

Rob S

I don’t have that problem, and the hooks are left in. When washing down, just push up on the bottom of hook and it will clear through the top of the paddle tail; spray off with fresh water; push top of hook back down through the paddle tail, and spray the bottom of hook. Constantly removing a hook from a soft bait will tear it up or enlarge the hole causing the hook to easily slip through it. That’s especially not good if skipping soft plastics. It would be interesting to set aside a saltwater dunked soft plastic with hook left in for 6 months, and then see if the rust is significant enough to cause the hook to break.

Christopher Shuff

Great tip as always fellas. I’d been rinsing with my soap spray but they were still rusting. And, on top of that, I now realize I’m scenting my lures with soap which I’m sure is a dumb idea. You rock!

Andrew Hinshaw

Guilty as charged. Been doing it wrong and as hard as twistlock hooks are getting to find, I need them to last as long as possible. As always very helpful.

Malcolm Hayward

Well noted.
I always rinse cold then rinse soak vulnerable items at bath temperature.
Not a problem I have seen but I am no fan of softies. Prefer metals.
Some E-tailers stock salt cancelling wash concentrates. Primarily for multipliers.
But hey, whatever benefits.
Blood, I have found to be more of a problem.
Conger eel slime helps waterproof the Timberlands.
Rgds.

Pro-Cure Review: When & How To Use It, And What Species To Use It For

Thinking about trying Pro-Cure? Check out this review to see when you should use it, when you shouldn't use it, what species it works for, and more.

Topwater Power Fishing (And Why We Quit For This)

Want to know the secret to covering ground in the early morning and catching big fish on topwater lures? The key is power fishing which is...