How To Get A Buried Fish Out Of Mangroves & Dock Pilings
Catching fish can be an emotional rollercoaster.
One moment, when you see the rod double over and hear the drag scream, you’re on cloud nine…
The next moment, when you realize the fish is headed towards structure and there’s nothing you can do to stop him, “Oh, yeah!” turns to, “Oh NO!” in an instant.
Will the fish, by some miracle, find his way out of the structure, still hooked, with your line still intact?
Or will your line graze the edge of an oyster and get sliced in two, leaving the fish to swim off with a free lunch?
This is a tough situation for any angler, but if you want to increase your chances of landing the fish, there are several things you can do.
Want to see what they are?
Watch the video below where I battle a big fish in the mangroves and talk through how to get him out.
(P.S. I was not expecting to catch one of these fish here!)
How to Get Fish Out Of Mangroves & Docks [VIDEO]
What a nice surprise!
Another species added to Salt Strong’s upcoming lure, the Slam Shady white paddletail.
If you want to increase your chances of not getting broken off and landing a fish that’s got you stuck in the mangroves, rocks or a dock, keep these tips in mind:
- Lighten up on the pressure as soon as you feel the line rubbing on something
- If you pull harder like your instinct will tell you to do, the line will most likely break
- As soon as you feel the fish moving, resume the light pressure to softly guide it out
- The goal is to make it feel like the easiest path is to follow its tracks back out
- Remember that this might take a few times of gaining a few inches, then losing the fish under cover again, but patience pays off big time if you can land the fish!
- Once you see the line moving to the side or you stop feeling the rubbing, then it’s time to put the pressure back on
Have any questions about getting a fish out of heavy structure?
Or have any other strategies for getting yourself out of a situation like this?
Let me know in the comments below!
P.S. Want to see exactly where I was fishing, what I was using and why? Join our Insider Club by clicking here.
Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?
Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!
Here’s what you’ll receive today:
- Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
- Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
- Exclusive fishing tips from the PROS you can’t find anywhere else
- Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: