Tarpon Tactics: Where, When, & How To Catch The Silver King
Tarpon are one of the hardest fish to hook into…
And even harder to land.
They are strong, thrash and jump, have super tough mouths, and fight extremely hard.
But the excitement of landing a tarpon is a feeling like no other!
In this episode, Capt. Tyler Kapela breaks down all of his best tips, tactics, and guide secrets to hooking up with more tarpon.
- The best spots to catch tarpon
- What baits work for tarpon and the secret to hooking them
- The gear you need to be successful
- What times of the year are most productive to fish for tarpon
- The biggest mistakes anglers make when fighting tarpon
- And much more.
If you want to land more tarpon this year, then you’ve got to hear this!
Check it out below!
You can watch the video version of this podcast below (which I definitely recommend), listen to the audio version by clicking the play button underneath it, or listen to it on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify.
Tarpon Fishing Tactics [VIDEO]
Tarpon Fishing Tactics [PODCAST]
- HOW TO FIND 90% OF ALL FEEDING FISH IN YOUR AREA (90/10 FISHING RULE)
- THE ULTIMATE PRE-TRIP PLANNING BLUEPRINT (USING ONLINE MAPS)
Timestamped Table Of Contents:
- 1:54 – Tarpon move around a lot so where do you find them?
- 2:33 – The insane migration of tarpon
- 2:50 – Can tarpon live in golf course ponds?
- 3:54 – Juvenile tarpon spots
- 4:25 – Tarpon seasons
- 6:19 – Best spots to fish for tarpon early in the season
- 8:08 – Bays, beaches, and bridges (what to look for)
- 10:40 – What is a daisy chain and why it’s important?
- 14:08 – Exact spots to find tarpon during peak season
- 16:44 – Biggest mistakes to avoid to land a tarpon
- 17:34 – How the weather affects tarpon
- 20:25 – Why night fishing is so productive for tarpon
- 22:10 – When to change up your bait
- 24:32 – How to present your bait for more strikes
- 26:40 – How to cast outside of a daisy chain
- 34:47 – Using a cork as a bait presenter instead of a strike indicator
- 35:56 – The secret trick to keeping your live bait in place
- 38:15 – What size hook to use for tarpon
- 39:45 – The bait that nobody uses but should
- 40:04 – Best tarpon rod features
- 40:45 – Why you should bow to the king (and what NOT to do)
- 43:18 – What size reel you should use for tarpon (get it here)
- 46:02 – How heavier line can save your fish
- 47:50 – The importance of drag management during a tarpon fight
- 50:02 – This is how to avoid sharks when fighting a tarpon
- 56:41 – What size of crab should you use?
- 59:32 – How you hook the crab matters big time
- 1:05:30 – If you only have a small window to fish, this is when you need to go
- 1:08:01 – The best way to prepare your crabs for tarpon bait (the crab dab)
Tarpon are easily one of the most sought-after fish to catch by anglers…
And Capt. Tyler Kapela seems to have it dialed in!
Be sure to follow Capt. Tyler on Instagram for updates on where the tarpon are and who’s landing them.
And if you want to catch your own tarpon, book your Hit and Run Fishing Charter with Capt. Tyler here!
Do you have a great success story about catching a tarpon?
Let me know down in the comments!
And if you know someone that really wants to catch a tarpon this year, please TAG or SHARE this with them!
P.S. Want access to our best fishing spots and tips, plus discounts to our online tackle store? Click here to join us in the Insider Club!
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: