Which Soft Plastic Lures Can Be Left On A Hook (And Which Ones Can’t)?

We’ve all been there…

You accidentally leave a Gulp lure rigged up for too long and next thing you know it’s shriveled up, hard as a rock, and nearly impossible to wiggle off the hook.

That might have you thinking, “What other lures should I not leave on the hook?”

If you’ve ever asked yourself that question, you’re not alone!

People ask me that several times a week, so I put together this video to finally give you an answer.

Enjoy, and be sure to leave a comment if I missed any brands!

Which Lures Can Be Left On A Jig Head? [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to join the Salt Strong Insider Club

Conclusion

If a lure is made of a water-based plastic, like Gulp and Fishbites, then you should not leave them on a hook and out of their packaging or sealed containers for too long.

A good rule of thumb to keep in mind is this: if there is liquid in the packaging, then they shouldn’t be left out.

On the other hand, brands like Z-Man, DOA, and Zoom have no liquid in the packaging, and are ok to leave rigged up and out of their packaging.

Are there any other brands of lures that you don’t want to leave out of the package?

Let me know in the comments below!

And if you know someone who uses Gulp or Fishbites, please TAG and SHARE this with them!

P.S. If you want the best local fishing spots, access to exclusive gear, and real-time fishing reports and tips, join us and +9,000 other anglers in the Insider Club!

Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?

Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!

Here’s what you’ll receive today:

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

Jerry Dexter
Member
Jerry Dexter

Thanks for the Tip

CHARLES DIMIDIO
Member
CHARLES DIMIDIO

Nice vid on baits you can leave on the hook. Question: Can you leave a Gulp bait on the hook if you put the Gulp on the hook back into the liquid. Will taking it off the hook and replacing only the bait in the liquid ruin the bait. Let me know .
Chuck D

Justin Rhymer
Member
Justin Rhymer

Luke awesome video! Can we leave our slam shady 2.0s out of the pack on our rods or no?

Justin Rhymer
Member
Justin Rhymer

Thanks Luke!

Robbie Johnson
Member
Robbie Johnson

Monster x baits

Dennis Patton
Member
Dennis Patton

Hey Guys, Any idea which brands of soft lures tend to dissolve others, besides Z-Man. Learned the hard way not to store then in plastic folder pages together in a binder. Still use Z-Man but leave them in their original bags.
Thanks a lot,
D. Patton
Colorado City, Texas

I find all plastics will ruin/oxidize lead and paint while enclosed in the same package for long periods of time.

Paul Williams
Member
Paul Williams

Luke, great post as always! I believe you also have an older video where you also stated to not mix Z-man with other lures too as they will melt or kind of combine with the other soft plastics. So great tips and appreciate the posts.

James Doyel
Member
James Doyel

Yes!!! You finally got some DSL lures!!! Have you tried them out yet? Looks like those were the red flash color which I havent used. I use the red shad instead and it’s a go to for me, as well as bone diamond!!! They honestly just all work so I can’t wait to see what you think of them. I’m currently about to test out some HomeWreaker lures that I’ve heard are on par with the DSLs.

Gary Rankel
Member
Gary Rankel

Good stuff, Luke. Another tip. I like to rig my Z Man paddletails at home rather than while bouncing around on my yak. When doing so, it’s important to suspend them in such a way that the body and tail stay straight or they can get a twist in them. Unfortunately, once rigged, the paddletails will no longer fit in the nice plastic holder inside the Z man bags which keep the tail straight. When heading out, I just put a few of the rigged plastics in my tackle box, and they stay straight for the few hours I’m out. When I return home, I re-suspend them to keep them from twisting.

John Grimila
Member
John Grimila

When I subscribed to your site a month ago I signed up to get your hooks you promised me but never received. Why haven’t I received them yet?

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing exactly where you should fish ever trip
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in your area
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

Boat Camping: 5 Steps For Safe, Exciting Overnight Boat Trips

Have you been boat camping? Imagine spending the night out under the stars with the waves gently rocking you to sleep. If that sounds awesome, here are 5...
1 comment

My First Catch From A Balcony [Sight Fishing From 3rd Floor Balcony]!

When seeing how close the water was to our balcony, I was thinking how cool it would be if we actually caught a fish from...

The SECRET Redfish, Trout, & Snook Lure That Is Out-Fishing Live Bait