The Best Bait & Rig For Catching Redfish At The Jetty

It’s jetty fishing time!

You can catch a ton of quality redfish at the jetties.

And some really nice bulls too!

But you’ll need to have the right bait and rigs if you want to be successful.

Learn about the best baits and rigs to use in this new video.

Check it out!

Best Bait & Rig For Redfish At The Jetty [VIDEO]

This is my favorite setup to use when I’m going after redfish of all sizes at the jetties.

Smaller Baits For Redfish In Numbers

Finger mullet are great baits for smaller and slot redfish.

And I use a smaller circle hook (like a 3/0 or 4/0) for this size of baitfish.

Larger Baits For Bull Redfish

When I want to catch larger reds, my go-to bait is a pogie (AKA menhaden or bunker).

You can also use a threadfin or a large mullet.

A 5/0 circle hook is perfect for this sized bait.

Always remember to match your hook size to your bait size!

Rigging For Redfish At The Jetty

Larger baits are going to get picked at by smaller fish.

To keep your bait around for the longest amount of time and intact as best as possible, hook it through the bottom of the mouth and bring it through the top of their skull.

For smaller baits, you can hook the same way but since it’s not as oily, rip the tail off for extra scent.

If you hook through the body, it will helicopter in the water.

The rig itself is simple.

Your circle hook is secured to a 10 inch, 50# mono leader that ties to a snap swivel.

Use a pyramid weight on the snap swivel. (You want to be able to change out your weights quickly based on current.)

More current = 4/5/6 oz pyramid weight

Lighter current = 2 oz pyramid weight

Your 30# main line braid should be secured to your swivel with a modified uni knot.

Here’s how to tie a modified uni knot!

Conclusion

redfish at the jetties

Whether you want to catch redfish in numbers or big bulls, the jetties are a great place to get tight lines!

Bring the right rigs and best baits, and your drag will be screaming in no time!

Have questions about this rig setup?

What’s your biggest red at the jetties?

Let me know down in the comments!

And if you know someone who wants to try jetty fishing, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

John Gorczyca
1 month ago

Tried using frozen finger mullet but they get mushy when thawed and I don’t seem to be able to keep them on the hook. Anyone have any suggestions? I’m thinking frozen is not the way to go. Really appreciate your videos, Wyatt. Great info.

Dan Reffett
1 month ago

Great tips Wyatt! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise!

Gary Brady
1 month ago

Wyatt what rod and reel are you using?

Al Schellhorn
1 month ago

Great video Wyatt – as usual. Do you think chunks of fresh ladyfish are as effective, or not so much?

Josh Mitchell
1 month ago

Do you ever use spider weights? When do you think is the appropriate time for one? Great video I’ll be trying this rig soon

Mike Nelson
1 month ago

I’m in Galveston ,looking for Big reds, what size Rod to use ( Suf rode?).

Buzz Butters
1 month ago

Nice Wyatt, very informative.
I travel around the country for work and see a lot of jetties and anglers fishing the jetties. I’m going to pack my 3 piece spin and with some of your techniques give it a try. So if I’m new to a coastal city how do I go about finding these jetties? Google bait shops and call them (tried it in the past and wasnt real successful). Any other ideas? Buzz

Donald James
1 month ago

What rod, reel and line are you using?

Jerry Dexter
1 month ago

Thanks for the video, Wyatt, Where are you fishing?

Jon Johnson
1 month ago

I’m an insider member. Hoping to guide some tips for Labor Day Weekend at 30A between Destin and Panama City. (Seaside area)

Will be there from Sept 1 – 6th. I wanted to know if there were light tackle Thant I could get to fish from the beach in the early morn or early evening. I wont be able to haul my large surf fishing gear, but wondered if there were any cast and retrieve, or “lay on the bottom” type stuff that might catch anything. Hope this makes sense.

[NEW CASE STUDY] Scientific Method For Catching Inshore Fish In The Winter

This new case study fishing report is yet another example of the Scientific Method for catching inshore fish during the winter months [click for full video]

How To Catch 24X More Inshore Saltwater Fish (Easy 10-Minute System)

Are you sick and tired of not getting tight lines every single trip? Then you've got to see this. Finally, a simple system to find good spots fast.