How To Rig A Shrimp Weedless (Quick & Easy Way)
By: Tony Acevedo on May 20, 2019
It’s shrimp rigging time!
Nearly every species of fish will eat a live shrimp…
And nearly every species of fish likes to ambush prey from the cover of structure…
But when you try to freeline a live shrimp in heavy structure like trees or docks, they often get snagged, causing you to lose your hook and shrimp, plus all the time it takes for you to re-tie.
Has this happened to you?
Check out the video below where I’ll teach you how to rig a weedless shrimp, and share some tips and tactics on fishing with them in heavy structure.
Weedless Shrimp Rig [VIDEO]
- Get the Weedless Hooks Here
- Check out how to rig shrimp on a popping cork here
- Download the Inshore Manifesto here
Weedless Shrimp Fishing
Fishing a shrimp weedless is great for fishing structure such as:
- Oyster bars
- Grass flats
You can catch snook, redfish, trout, flounder and more on live shrimp in these areas.
To rig shrimp weedless, follow these steps:
Step #1: Pinch off the tail (to release more scent and attract more fish)
Step #2: Insert the hook up through the bottom of the tail
Step #3: Pull the weed guard under the hook point
Step #4: Pinch the weed guard to give the hook an angle to rest in
What To Avoid
Although this can be a very effective way to catch fish, there are two big things to avoid:
- When retrieving, don’t yank on the shrimp. This can pop the weed guard out and lead to snagging.
- If you’re caught in the trees, just give a little pop to help the shrimp come out. Again, don’t yank it, as that will likely lead to popping the weed guard and snagging.
Have you had issues with getting snagged while fishing shrimp in heavy structure?
These weedless hooks have been so helpful in decreasing the number of times I get snagged, allowing me to keep my bait in the strike zone longer and catch more fish.
Have any questions about rigging weedless shrimp?
Let me know in the comments below!
P.S. Want to see exactly where I’m fishing and what I’m using? Check out our Insider Club here.
Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?
Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!
Here’s what you’ll receive today:
- Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
- Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
- Exclusive fishing tips from the PROS you can’t find anywhere else
- Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).
- The BEST DAY For You To Go Fishing (New Tool)
- The Ultimate Spanish Mackerel Rig (Catches Mackerel Anywhere)
- 3 Tips To Find Feeding Inshore Fish (Even In Bad Weather)
Disclaimer: When you buy through links on our site, we sometimes earn affiliate commission from places like Amazon, Bass Pro, Tackle Warehouse, etc. It’s one more way we can help you quickly find the best deals on the web while making sure we’re still around to serve you for years to come (and you do want us to be around to help you catch fish for many more years, right?).