The History Of Red Tide & Sewage In Tampa (And Lessons Learned)
Did you know that Tampa Bay was basically a sewage dump back in the 70s?
In this episode, environmental scientist and conservation advocate Lindsay Cross joins me to share some of the water history of Tampa Bay, how they turned their horrendous water quality issues around, and what we can learn from it today.
She also shares her thoughts on what is causing this severe red tide, who’s to blame, and how we can fix it going forward.
Check it out below!
The History Of Red Tide In Tampa Bay [VIDEO]
The History Of Red Tide In Tampa Bay [PODCAST]
- THE TRUTH ABOUT THE TAMPA BAY RED TIDE & PINEY POINT
- HOW TO FIND 90% OF ALL FEEDING FISH IN YOUR AREA (90/10 FISHING RULE)
You can follow the timestamped table of contents here:
- 0:30 – Introduction to our special guest, Lindsay Cross
- 4:18 – Tampa Bay’s history in water quality
- 5:49 – The odors from the sewage were so toxic
- 7:33 – Too many “nutrients” fuel the growth
- 8:14 – Big investment in water quality
- 11:05 – How do we make change?
- 12:50 – The consortium that was formed to help the problem
- 13:42 – Correlation between seagrass and fishing
- 16:35 – The causes of the pollution in Tampa Bay
- 18:30 – 200 tons of nitrogen that went into Tampa Bay from Piney Point
- 19:50 – 1600 tons of dead marine life in the past couple of months
- 21:38 – Here’s what we can do collectively to help
- 23:48 – Needing clean water to sustain our fisheries
- 25:52 – What can be done on an individual level
- 28:04 – Contact your local representatives!
- 31:23 – Red tide is not over for the year
- 33:47 – Where you can learn more about Lindsay:
- Go to lindsaycrossfl.com
We can learn a lot from what they did back in the 70s to turn around the water pollution issues faced in Tampa Bay.
There are many factors that go into the current red tide situation.
And to start, we need to make our voices heard, hold everyone accountable, and move forward with a solution that we are all part of!
Have any questions about this or what you can do to help?
Let me know down in the comments!
And if you know an angler who is tired of getting skunked, please TAG or SHARE this with them!
P.S. Want access to our best fishing spots and tips, plus discounts to our online tackle store? Click here to join us in the Insider Club
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: