7 Tips For Rigging Blue Crabs For Bull Redfish (Plus Video Proof)
By: Tony Acevedo on October 24, 2019
Want to see the best way to rig blue crabs for monster redfish?
These reds are cruising the flats looking for an easy meal, and if a blue crab is waiting there for them, they usually can’t turn it down.
This is especially effective if they’re finicky and don’t seem to want to eat anything else.
That being said, there are some things you want to keep in mind when rigging blue crabs.
If you don’t rig them properly you could lose your crab, or, even worse, lose the fish of a lifetime.
Watch the video below for seven tips on rigging blue crabs to catch bull redfish.
Rigging Blue Crabs For Bull Redfish [VIDEO]
What a monster red!
Here are 7 tips for when you’re rigging up blue crabs for redfish:
1. Remove the claws.
This will help you not get pinched, and make it easier for the fish to eat the crab.
2. Pinch the tips of the crab shell off.
This will make it easier for the fish to eat the crab and release scent into the water.
3. Hook them through one of their fin or leg holes.
This will decrease the odds of the hook coming out and causing you to lose your crab.
4. You can also hook them through the corner of their shell.
Hook them here and remove their legs to make them more streamlined. This is best if you’re fishing in an area with strong current.
5. Use a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook.
If a fish is going to take a big blue crab, it’s going to be a big fish…
6. Make sure to leave the hook point exposed to get a good hook set.
If the hook is buried in the crab, you may not hook into the fish.
7. If you only have a few crabs, or there are smaller fish in the area, you can cut the crab into halves or quarters.
This will also help release maximum scent into the water.
If you want to catch picky bull reds cruising the flats, soaking a blue crab is an excellent way to do that.
Just make sure to hold on, because these guys put up a fight!
Have any questions about rigging blue crabs?
Let me know in the comments below!
And if you know someone who wants to catch more bull reds, TAG or SHARE this with them!
P.S. Now that you know a great way to catch bull redfish, join us in the Insider Club and learn where to find them! Click here to learn more about the Insider Club.
Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?
Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!
Here’s what you’ll receive today:
- Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
- Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
- Exclusive fishing tips from the PROS you can’t find anywhere else
- Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).