Does The Slam Shady BOMBER Catch Fish In Murky Water?

Do you fish dark, murky water?

Then you probably stick to darker lures…

But what about the Slam Shady BOMBER? Does that catch fish in murky water?

I recently took them out for a test run in the tannic waters of the St. John’s River in Jacksonville, Florida.

I caught tons of nice redfish and flounder, and in this video, you’ll learn:

• WHY this new lure works well in dark water (even though it’s light-colored)
  • HOW to catch big fish with it in dark water

Check it out below!

Does The Slam Shady BOMBER Work In Dark Water? [VIDEO]

➡ Click here to get the Slam Shady BOMBER

I’ve seen a ton of great reports from the Insider Community talking about how great this lure is, but I’ve also heard on some other social media platforms that this color won’t work in murky water.

Is that true?

I live in Jacksonville, Florida, and fish the St John’s river a lot, which is pretty dark, so I decided to put it to the test and see for myself.

I planned two trips to areas that I’d never been to before and absolutely crushed it!

I caught several big redfish and flounder using just this lure and had a blast.

Here’s why this paddletail works well in murky water (when other light-colored lures don’t):

Reason #1: It’s got a big tail that makes a ton of vibration.

When the water is dark, fish rely heavily on feeling their prey swim through the water.

This is a big lure that makes a lot of commotion in the water, so fish can easily feel it and find it.

Reason #2: It’s got lots of silver and gold flash.

Yes, pure white lures aren’t the best to use in dark water.

However, the Slam Shady color is not pure white.

We specifically put lots of silver and gold flash in this proprietary color so that it will get the fishes’ attention even in darker water.

How To Use The Slam Shady BOMBER

Now that you know this lure works in dark water, the next question is, how do you use it?

The first step is to find the fish.

On this trip, I found them in creeks and along grassy shorelines (for more about how to find fish, join us in the Insider Club).

Once I found them, I just used a simple steady retrieve and let the paddletail and flash do their job of getting fish to see it and strike it.

Bouncing and twitching this lure along the bottom also works well, too.

(Check out this article for more tips on how to catch fish with the Slam Shady BOMBER.)

Conclusion

slam shady bomber redfish

It’s safe to say that yes, the Slam Shady BOMBER works great in dark water!

Even though most light-colored lures shouldn’t be your first choice when fishing dark water, the BOMBER is different because it’s got a big paddletail that makes lots of vibration and the gold and silver flash does a great job at getting the fishes’ attention.

You can get the Slam Shady BOMBER from our shop here.

Have any questions about using this lure or fishing dark water?

Let me know down in the comments!

And if you know someone who fishes dark, murky water, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

Caden Kaufman

Thanks Austin I know your new to saltstrong, but you really came through on this post! Thanx!!

Reply to  Caden Kaufman

I really appreciate that Caden!! Im glad that you enjoyed it!!

Brian Hunter

Nice video Austin! Way to catch ’em!

Reply to  Brian Hunter

Thank you, Brian!!

Caden Kaufman

Also what boat do u use?

Reply to  Caden Kaufman

I have an 18ft Stumpnocker cc with a 90hp Evinrude E-tec. It’s very similar to a traditional Stumpknocker, but it’s not a flat bottom and is missing the “K” in Stumpknocker. It’s made by Allcraft marine.

Caden Kaufman
Reply to  Austin Moon

Thank you sir!!

Reply to  Caden Kaufman

Not a problem at all!!

Jeffrey Wilson

Great video Austin! And great timing too my bombers came in today. Can confirm the insider club is the place to be, such a great community.

Reply to  Jeffrey Wilson

Thanks Jeff!! Your awesome man! You’re going to love everything about the Bomber! I promise your casting distance will be improved significantly when you use it!!

Mario Relvini

Great video Austin. I love that calm water you fish in!

Reply to  Mario Relvini

Thank you, Mario!! The weather was awesome that day first thing in the morning!!

Michael Connelly

Nice job Austin! I too live in the Jax area and have been catching a lot of flounder and redfish on them as well. I sure would like to find some trout like you were getting. It appears you were up in Hanna Mills as the ICW on the south side sure is short on the trout for this time of the year.

Austin Moon

Thank you Michael, I appreciate that!! Some Trout that I caught in this video were not very far from the area that I fished in my most recent Insider report. Here is the link, just in case you have not seen it. https://www.saltstrong.com/insiders/multi-species-exploration-trip-insider-report/

Larry Fox

Thanks, Austin. You must be the new guy at Salt Strong! I too live in Jax. Do you ever fish the intercostal? I have not used the Bomber yet but have used the Slam Shady 2.0.

Reply to  Larry Fox

Thank you, Larry, yes sir, I fish the intercostal all the time! I fish from Fernandina all the way to St Augustine. The Bomber has been very impressive! Ive used the Slam Shady 2.0 a good bit and found really good success as well, but definitely plan to to put to work more in the future!

Thomas Marks

Austin, this is the first video of yours that I have seen. Very good video, great demonstration of the Slam Shady Bomber. You video editing was very good, I like the transitions between scenes. It makes viewing a pleasure.

Reply to  Thomas Marks

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice comment, Thomas! I really appreciate that, your awesome!! Im glad that you enjoyed it!

Art Heiter

Out of curiosity, what was red jig head you were using in one of the videos? (Size too?) Nice job on your videos as well.

Reply to  Art Heiter

Thank you, Art!! The Jig head that I used this day was a 1/4 ounce Strike King Jig head. I believe there 1/4 ounce jigs come with a 3/0 hook.

Art Heiter
Reply to  Austin Moon

Wondered about this due to the distance of your casts. Thank you!

Reply to  Art Heiter

No problem at all, Art! The Bomber alone will improve your casting distance! 👍👍

Glenn Acomb

Thanks Austin, this is a helpful video and well done. I fish in clear water in the Big Bend, but I’ll ask a friend that fishes the dirtier Suwanee River and creeks to see if he is aware of the Slam Shady Bomber. The color works well in our clear water, though.

Reply to  Glenn Acomb

Thank you Glenn, I really appreciate that!! I think that the color is about as versatile as it gets!

Jason Kirchner

I too use it all the time in murky water and it consistently produces!!

Reply to  Jason Kirchner

Yes sir, the Bomber has quickly become a must for my tackle box!! Thanks for taking the time to write a positive comment, Jason!!

Michael Kucich

I love the bomber !! Great report Austin

Reply to  Michael Kucich

The Bomber is the Bomb!! Thank you Michael, I really appreciate that!!

Craig Gaffka

Nice work out there Austin. Looking forward to the insider report on the trip. What days were those fish caught? I’m wondering if that was pre or post cold front catches.

Reply to  Craig Gaffka

Thank you, Craig!! I actually already did the Insider report! I will link it below. This was before this big front that we just had come through. Here is the link.

Ferdinand Alsina

Austin, I just watched this on Youtube. Great video. I fish in the JAX/St. Augustine area as well and I love the bomber. Well, I love all of the Slam Shady’s lures. They are my go to every time. I just started using a Gheenoe. Before that I fished out of a kayak. I have taken the Gheenoe out three times and I’m 0-3 even with the slam shady/bomber. Maybe I should go back to my kayak. lol Hope to see you out on the water one of this days.

Austin Moon

Thank you, Ferdinand!! I really appreciate that! I love all of them as well! Im sure ill see yah out there! Keep at it in the Gheenoe, I used to go out in one all the time and they are awesome boats!! Let me know if I can help you out with anything at all!!

Stan Mitchell

Great video Austin, the bomber rocks every where east coast or the west coast.🎣💪

Steve Miller

Two thumbs up Austin!! Good job!!

Reply to  Steve Miller

Thank you, Steve!! I really appreciate that!!

C. Lance Weaver

Well done Austin great video. Looks like an awesome fishery.

Austin Moon

Thanks for taking the time to leave a positive comment!! I really appreciate that! I love fishing the St Johns, so much water to fish!!

PAUL COMBS

GREAT VIDEO , THANKS I’M FROM JACKSONVILLE ALSO GOOD TO SEE US ON LINE.

Reply to  PAUL COMBS

That’s awesome Paul!! Thanks you I really appreciate that!! Many more to come!!

ken

What are the specs on that rod you are using?

Reply to  ken

Hey Ken! The first rod was a 7′, 8-17#, MH, fast action, Bull bay Stealth Sniper. The second rod was a 7′, 6-15#, M, fast action, Tsunami carbon shield 2.

How To Catch Redfish Like A Pro [3 Shortcuts To Success]

Learn how to catch redfish like a pro quickly by discovering the 3 shortcuts to success. These 3 proven tips will help you catch redfish across all seasons.

How To Grill Snook To Perfection [VIDEO]

Do you want to know a simple way to grill snook to perfection every time? We have tested numerous ways to cook snook, and this is our favorite by far.

How To Catch Boatloads Of Shad This Winter (Florida Edition)

Want to catch a ton of the "freshwater tarpon" known as shad this year? Then check out these tips on catching shad fast. Tight lines!

The SECRET Redfish, Trout, & Snook Lure That Is Out-Fishing Live Bait