Surf Fishing Mistakes (And How To Catch More Fish On The Beach)
Fishing from the beach is not only convenient but can often produce fish that you may not even think was possible!
But it takes a lot of time to learn how to be successful in surf fishing and making mistakes can be costly.
So in this episode, you’ll discover how to find the best spots to fish on the beach, what to avoid when choosing baits, how to know when you’re in a dead zone, and much more.
If you love surf fishing (or you’re doing it for the first time), you’ll get some great nuggets of wisdom from this episode.
Surf Fishing Mistakes [VIDEO]
Surf Fishing Mistakes [PODCAST]
- SALTWATER FISHING TACKLE MISTAKES: A GUIDE FOR NEWBIES
- THE ULTIMATE PRE-TRIP PLANNING BLUEPRINT (USING ONLINE MAPS)
Here’s a timestamped table of contents from our conversation about surf fishing:
- 2:30 – Scouting beaches (what to look for and when to go)
- 5:15 – Determine how far you need to cast
- 7:49 – Finding beach structure
- 8:59 – Fishing for the right species
- 10:05 – The seasonality of surf fishing
- 11:34 – Match the hatch (Using the right bait)
- 12:45 – Why it’s important to have a variety of bait
- 13:00 – Know Thy Target Species
- 14:40 – Know the fishing zones
- 15:15 – The importance of casting out at different distances
- 16:27 – Tons of snook off the beach
- 18:01 – Water temperatures and fish migration
- 19:40 – Study the tides
- 21:32 – The best time of day to fish
- 24:05 – What exactly is a country mile?
- 25:44 – What size hook and what size bait to use
- 27:57 – Tie your own rigs and save money
- 29:35 – How long should you stay in one spot
- 33:16 – What beach cart do you really need?
- 35:01 – Upgraded and customized beach carts are a game-changer
- 37:26 – Are you really prepared to catch your target species?
- 38:42 – Wyatt’s rig holder hack to keep you organized
- 39:17 – The famous flip flop surf rig (Here’s how to tie it!)
- 39:46 – Bring a variety of lures to the beach
- Here are our favorites:
- 41:03 – The magical Fishbites: the colors and scents that work
- 43:43 – The hottest bait right now in the surf
- 44:56 – Do you pre-trip planning with Smart Fishing Tides (free to our Insiders)
- 46:00 – Find clean water to find certain species of fish
- 46:12 – Winds that make a big difference in water color
- 46:45 – The ideal wind direction to surf fish in and why
- 48:34 – The effects of barometric pressure
- 49:24 – Get to know Salt Strong’s new Editor-In-Chief
- 56:25 – If you are not part of the Insider Community yet, join here. We are doing some amazing giveaways each week!
- 58:22 – The reality of Salt Strong podcasts (live, real, and uncut)
Mistakes are part of life and a big part of becoming a better angler.
Seeing what works and what doesn’t work takes a ton of time.
But we are committed to helping you avoid these mistakes and catch more fish in less time!
We’re going to be covering more surf fishing topics so let us know what you’d like us to cover.
Have you made these mistakes before?
Do you have any to add to the list?
Let me know down in the comments!
And if you know someone who’s just getting started surf fishing, please TAG or SHARE this with them!
P.S. Want access to our best fishing spots and tips, plus discounts to our online tackle store? Click here to join us in the Insider Club!
- HOW TO SAVE TIME & MONEY ON SURF FISHING RIGS (TOP 3 RIGGING HACKS)
- IS YOUR SPINNING REEL REALLY MADE FOR SALTWATER? FIND OUT…
- STRIKE SPOTS: NEW TOOL THAT PREDICTS INSHORE FEEDING ZONES
Disclaimer: When you buy through links on our site, we sometimes earn affiliate commission from places like Amazon, Bass Pro, Tackle Warehouse, etc. It’s one more way we can help you quickly find the best deals on the web while making sure we’re still around to serve you for years to come (and you do want us to be around to help you catch fish for many more years, right)?
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: