Non-Slip Loop Knot: How Many Turns Should You Do? [Knot Experiment]

If you maximize a lure’s action, you’ll maximize the strikes you can get with it it.

This is why it’s best to use a loop knot when using a lure you need to put action on, like a soft plastic on a jig head or a topwater lure.

But here’s the bad thing about loop knots: they’re not as strong as snug knots.

Because of this, it’s important that you tie a strong loop knot.

My favorite loop knot is the non-slip loop knot and to make sure I’m getting the most out of it, I decided to test the optimal number of turns to make when tying it.

I tested two turns vs. three and four turns and the results were not what I was expecting!

Check out the experiment in the video below and see how many turns leaves you with the strongest knot.

Optimum Number Of Turns For A Non-Slip Loop Knot [VIDEO]

This experiment was done with 20 lb. Ande monofilament and, except for the number of turns, I followed the steps for how to tie the non-slip loop knot in this video.

Here are the results (measured in pounds of force it took to break the knot:

2 Turns:

4 Turns:

Test #1: 19.15 lbs

Test #2: 19.38 lbs

Test #3: 19.54 lbs

Average: 19.35 lbs

Discussion

This was a little surprising!

There was an expected strength increase from two turns to three turns, but I did not expect a decrease between three turns and four turns.

It appears that there’s something about the extra turn that renders the knot weaker.

The good news about these tests is that they were all relatively consistent and there weren’t any outliers that would make me question the validity of these results.

Now although the knot with three turns is strongest, I will still be using the knot with two turns.

It makes for a cleaner knot (less visible to the fish and less opportunity to snag weeds) and, at over 20 lbs. of breaking strength, it’s stronger than the FG knot I’ll be tying at the line to leader connection.

I’m using with 10 lb. braid there, so I don’t need a knot much stronger than 20 lbs. of breaking strength.

Conclusion

best knot for jigs

As it turns out, there is a difference in strength between the number of turns you put in a non-slip loop knot.

Three turns yields an average of 21.72 pounds of breaking strength, two turns yields an average of 20.50 pounds of breaking strength, and, most surprisingly, four turns yields the weakest knot at an average of 19.35 pounds of breaking strength.

I’ll still be using the non-slip loop knot with two turns because it’s cleaner and I don’t need a knot that has more than 20 lbs. of breaking strength when my braided line is only ten pound test, but I’m glad to finally see these objective results.

Were these results what you expected?

Have any questions about the best way to tie the non-slip loop knot?

Let me know in the comments below.

You can learn how to tie the non-slip loop knot here.

And if you know someone who puts more than two turns in their non-slip loop knot please TAG or SHARE this with them!

Sam Craparo

Expect the unexpected. Another myth debunked. Keep up the great work.

Jim Crawley

Wow…I’ve been doing 6 to 7 turns and it turns out for nothing. Will be going to 3 turns.

Stephen Rothman
Reply to  Jim Crawley

Well, we don’t know. He didn’t test 6 to 7 turns. Maybe it reverses itself again and gets stronger.

Gary

I remember reading an article when I was a child in one of the many outdoor magazines I subscribed to that stated any knot you tie in mono that uses twists should always have an odd number of twists. I have lived by that statement for over 55 years of fishing.

Glenn Nunemaker

Nice review. Your tests are a good gauge on many options that we have with many issues. Keep up the good work!

Caden Kaufman

What inshore reel for lures should I get under 70 dollars

Caden

Thinking about the pursuit 3 Le combo. Could you take a look and tell me what you think? Sorry if it is a waste of time

Caden Kaufman

Thanks!

Stephen Rothman

How does the non-slip loop compare to a uni? Couldn’t you tie a uni but not snug it up, and then it will get pulled snug when the fish hits?

Corey

Love these tests! I’ve been using the triple kreh for years now, but when my leader is over 20# I drop to 2 turns.

Rob S

This has been my go to loop knot for 50+ yrs. I’ve always tied it with only 2 turns, and never recall it breaking before a main line-leader connection failed. I might go to 3 turns now. A word of caution is that this knot should not be used on heavy lb. test lines. Some may find this an interesting read https://themissionflymag.com/2013/05/30/two-loop-knots-you-should-be-using

Nick Nemeth

Another video lesson test that separates SaltStrong! Who else gives you this type of info? I’ve always used 2 turns but I’m going 3 turns from now on. If those fish don’t see the hook I’m not concerned about the slightly cleaner look of the 2 turns. Thanks Luke as always.

Rob

How do knot strengths compare when the line has been wetted as when fishing compared to dry as tested. I would assume slightly lower breaking strengths but would the ranking of the number of twists be maintained?

Andy Hong

I think you need to soak the knots longer. Monofilament absorbs water over time, and it actually becomes more elastic after it has absorbed water.

Steve Oravets
Reply to  Andy Hong

Wet or dry, I think the point is consistent knot strength.

TheEmperorCodsaculus

Great information. Who’da thought the 3 turn would be weaker. One suggestion though. Mount your apparatus to a piece of wood, be it plywood, or a 2 by and clamp it to your table.

Bill Zimmer

Thank you Luke, I always wondered how many loops I really needed, I’ll stick with two from now on. By the way, I always use the double-double uni-knot now, it hasn’t ever failed me.

Mike Grim

How is it tied?

Steve Oravets

Luke, Thanks for performing another experiment that I have always been curious about. I like two turn suggestion myself. Keep doing what you guys are doing!

Ron Scott

Thanks for the info in this video Luke. You wrote that the non-slip knot is weaker than the FG knot. Recently, you sold me on the FG knot so that’s what I’ve been using my last 2 times out. Would you do a break strength test on the FG knot?

Dan Reffett

Thanks for the data. All your conclusions make sense, think I’ll go with 2 twists as well.
Regards!

Dave Morales

Good to know..thanks for providing test result

Mike Connelly

Luke, your info is always great and your test clearly show the the results. I am interested though in just one turn on your machine? I have always only used one 1 wrap and back through and have never had an issue with a knot failing. (slipping out).

David Kotch

I often throw lures on 10lb leader, so will stick with 3 turns for <20lb line until we see test results telling us otherwise. It’s great to have this information, since most descriptions of the Lefty Kreh knot outside of Salt Strong show 4 or 5 wraps. Even the tutorial here says 3 wraps for >40 and 4 wraps for <40lb.

Also curious what to use for 60lb loops for beach and offshore. There must be an alternative that doesn’t have such a sharp turn at the far end of the wraps? Maybe a king sling or something more “figure 8” ish? I suppose a bigger knot would be acceptable in that weight range.

I reference your “fishing-knots” article all the time. But would love to see some differentiation in those lists for heavy vs light light line.

Back to the lab for you!

Last edited 5 months ago by David Kotch
Mike

Have you tested flurocarbon leader

Jim Esher

Like have you tried comparing the non-slip loop know to the canoe man loop knot. Would be interesting to see that. Canoe man is much faster to tie

Erik Johansson

Consider testing with direct attachment to braid, no leader.

Gregory Thebeau

Luke, thanks for the use of science. Snags are a part of fishing. When I have to break a line, due to a snag, I don’t want to lose my whole rig. I would rather just lose the lure. Why don’t you use, say, 30lb braid with a 20lb leader and the loop knot tying on the lure. That way you have to break points before losing your whole rig. The break points should be first the lure, second the leader. The last thing I want to do while fishing is tying a FG knot.

How To Save Money On Braided Fishing Line (And Make It Last Longer)

Want to save money on braided line? Check out this simple tip to double the lifespan of your braid and save yourself from having to buy a new spool.

Edge Spinning Rod Review [Top Pros & Cons]

After seeing these Edge rodes at ICAST last year, I was determined to add one to my arsenal because it looked and felt so nice. So I finally got one and have had a chance to get out on the water to see how it compares to the other rods that I've used and tested... here are the results.

The SECRET Redfish, Trout, & Snook Lure That Is Out-Fishing Live Bait