3 Tips To Land Big Fish On Light Tackle
What a fun snook!
I was testing out one of our new Slam Shady lures the other day when I hooked into a +40″ snook on a 2000 size spinning reel with 10 lb braid.
Sounds awesome, right?
It was, except for the fact that I was near oyster bars and mangrove islands, and had Otis on board, so I wasn’t sure if I was going to land her!
When I finally did land her, she was 4-5″ longer than my 36″ measuring stick, and is my biggest snook on artificials so far.
Do you know what to do if you hook into the fish of a lifetime on light tackle?
To save you the potential heartbreak of getting broken off by a trophy fish, I put together these three tips for fighting big fish on light line.
Check out the video below to see them, plus a bonus tip.
3 Tips To Land Big Fish On Light Tackle [VIDEO]
This snook one of the many big snook and redfish I caught that weekend.
I did a full breakdown of what was working that weekend in the Insider Club, plus an overview of the exact spot on the map, so click here to join if you want to see it.
If you hook into a big fish on light tackle, remember these four things:
- Try to get yourself away from structure so you won’t get broken off. If you’re in a kayak, at least try to anchor down so you don’t get pulled into structure.
- Set the drag to 20-30% of the weakest line strength
- Have faith in your drag and don’t tighten it when fighting the fish
Bonus tip: if you have a dog that has sharp nails and a history of jumping in the water and breaking off big fish, secure him on the boat so he can’t jump in.
Have any questions about fighting big fish on light tackle?
Let me know in the comments below!
And be sure to TAG or SHARE this with someone who needs to see this!
P.S. Want to see exactly where I was fishing and why? Join the Insider Club where I’ll break down this whole fishing trip and show where I was on the map.
Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?
Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!
Here’s what you’ll receive today:
- Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
- Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
- Exclusive fishing tips from the PROS you can’t find anywhere else
- Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: