How To Add Rattles To Soft Plastics For More Strikes

Are you looking to gain a little edge when you’re inshore fishing?

Do you fish at night, or in dark or murky water?

Then you might want to consider adding rattles to your soft plastics.

It’s quick, easy, and is a great little trick to have up your sleeve!

When fish can’t see well, such as at night or in dark or murky water, they rely on other senses, such as hearing or feeling vibrations in the water to track down their food.

So when you add rattles to your soft plastic, it makes it much more likely that it’ll catch a fish’s attention in these situations.

The problem is, it can be tricky to put these rattles in your lure while still allowing for its normal action in the water.

In this video, I’ll share with you exactly how to insert rattles into your plastic lure, plus I’ll reveal a secret ninja trick I use that helps these rattles stay inside Z-Man lures.

You can watch this video below.

Enjoy!

How To Add Rattles To Soft Plastics [VIDEO]

Equipment mentioned:

Related videos:

Conclusion

Adding rattles to your soft plastics can be great if you fish in tough-to-see conditions, such as at night, or in dark or murky water.

And when you’re adding rattles to your soft plastics, keep these two things in mind:

1. Insert the rattle close to the head or the middle of the body and make sure it doesn’t interfere with your normal rigging
  2. Make sure the plastic forms back behind the rattle and holds it in (otherwise you’ll lose your rattle!)

Have any questions about using rattles in soft plastics?

Let me know in the comments below!

And if you know someone who would like to have this extra edge, please TAG or SHARE this with them!

P.S. Want the best fishing spots and updates on what and where the fish are biting now? Click here to join us in the Insider Club!

Do You Want To Quickly Find New Fishing Spots In Your Area?

Then you’ve got to see this private fishing club!

Here’s what you’ll receive today:

• Weekly fishing reports and TRENDS revealing where the inshore fish are feeding all year long
  • Weekly “spot dissection” videos that walk you through all the best spots in certain areas
  • Everything you need to start catching fish more consistently (regardless if you fish out of a boat, kayak, or land).

Richard Fiorentino
1 month ago

Thanks Tony. How often do you use rattles? Are you still using Gulp over the Prawn and Alabama Lep. ?

Allan Vrboncic
1 month ago

Does 3mm mean diameter only? If not, how long are the 3mm ones that you sell? And how long are the 4mm ones in your video.

Allan Vrboncic
1 month ago

Do you think the 3mm ones you sell for the prawns would work well also in the Paddle Tails and Jerk Shadz?

Michael Hobbs

I’ve used rattles inserted with jigs since 2009( and the rattles I found then were huge and not glass). For a while I played with the rattles built inside the jig head but I noticed a difference in my casting, presentation, and sink rate. The jigs with rattles built in i found were bigger in size then what I was used to (but same weight) so I stopped using them. I put my jig in first (you basically have to) otherwise the rattle will be in the way or too far back every time. Paddle tails aren’t hard you got plenty of body. Jerk baits or the bomber are my go to’s when I have company aboard right now(winter). If you want to throw jerk baits the weedless as Tony uses is easy to get a rattle in, but if your a jig guy I put them right behind the hook and under be careful to avoid the hook cover/pro cure channel on the bottom. You can easily go right through it and if you don’t push it a good ways in your loosing your rattle. I had a redfish on last week that completely crushed the glass on the rattle inside my jerk bait (first for me). I’m in North Florida. Most of the time when I can’t even see my lure on the surface of the water it’s so muddy I put the rattle in. Tight lines!

Michael Palmieri

Thanks for the review Tony, well done!
Would these work with jig heads as well as weighted hooks?

Eric Estrada

Great idea! How about using jig heads with rattles? I believe H&H makes some.

Richard Doane

Love this idea. going to try it out. Thanks

Floyd Nevseta

Do you change your retrieve when using a rattle in a paddletail? I normally don’t twitch when I use them, just a nice steady retrieve.

Terence Buydos

H&H were out of stock in store at Amazon but Bass pro had 3mm ones 15 pack for $6 free store delivery. But Amazon has a 50! pack of 3/4/ or 5 mm for 9.99 including shipping. No Prime. any one local want a few, come see me I sure don’t need all 50. But you need to promise to not fish south of the melbourne causeway.

Pat Ogletree

So funny you posted this. I started using the exact same rattles during my last few trips. I think it makes a difference for sure in the murky water.
What has been working for me is rigging with an OTL but make the pilot hole in the head of the bait deeper. Insert the rattle in the head and then put the center pin of the OTL as you would normally. I think that way it keeps the rattle from flinging out after awhile. I was actually successful doing that with the Gulp product but it’s been hit and miss with those. Great tip and the rattle aren’t that expensive at all.

How To Store Soft Plastics To AVOID Them Melting Together

Want to keep your lures from melting together? Lures melting together is really common, but easily preventable if you just store them in...

How To Remove A Boat Prop (To Grease & Check For Fishing Line)

Are you checking your boat prop like you should? Here's the quick and easy way to check your prop for fishing line and grease it to keep it running smoothly
No comments

The Salt Strong Mission: Why We Are NOT YouTubers

Why doesn't Salt Strong just put all our stuff on YouTube? In this post, we tell you about the Salt Strong Mission and why we run our company the way we do.