The Best Baitfish For Inshore Fishing & How To Match The Hatch
Regardless if you fish with live bait or lures, you’ve got to know where and what baitfish are in your area.
In this episode, we hammer home why it’s critical to know what types of live bait are in your area (for each season), where to find the baitfish, and how to match the hatch in order to catch more fish.
This will be incredibly helpful for both live bait anglers and artificial lure anglers (especially if you love catching redfish, trout, snook, and flounder).
Check it out below!
You can watch the video version of this podcast below (which I highly recommend), listen to the audio version by clicking the play button underneath it, or listen to it on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify.
Best Baits & How To Find Them [VIDEO]
Best Baits & How To Find Them [PODCAST]
- STRIKE SPOTS: NEW TOOL THAT PREDICTS INSHORE FEEDING ZONES
- HOW TO FIND 90% OF ALL FEEDING FISH IN YOUR AREA (90/10 FISHING RULE)
You can follow the timestamped table of contents:
- 1:34 – There’s a time & place to use live bait
- 3:09 – SHRIMP! Everything eats shrimp
- 4:08 – The Mullet Run is the most wonderful time of the year
- 5:25 – What eats mullet?
- 6:36 – Mud minnows: where are they and what fish species love them
- 8:31 – The best live bait to use to catch a ton of fish
- 11:12 – What’s the money bait in the area you’re fishing?
- 13:12 – Mullet, pinfish, croakers, pilchard (white bait)
- 14:23 – Without a cast net, how do you catch live bait?
- 15:17 – The Slam Shady Bomber mimics this
- 15:31 – Slam Shady 2.0 and Gold Digger will catch doormats
- 16:41 – Best Wintertime bait and why
- 19:15 – Is there a best Springtime bait and why?
- 21:43 – If you want to catch baitfish without a cast net, do this
- 24:46 – Shad is the predominate bait over in Texas during Spring
- 27:28 – Best Summertime baitfish, hands down
- 29:39 – The $9 baitfish…
- 32:18 – Buy your bait or go find your bait?
- 33:03 – Fall is here, what baitfish are you using (dead or alive)
- 37:08 – Regional bait names
- 38:37 – Using mullet to catch big tarpon
- 40:02 – Blue crabs for HUGE reds during fall
- 43:56 – The lures for catching big redfish in schools
- 47:28 – Match the hatch with your lures by season
Check out the course mentioned here:
Here are the lures mentioned:
And here are some other tactics for catching live bait:
If you love to fish inshore year-round, then you need to know what baits are present by season, how to find them, and the best ways to match the hatch!
Have any questions about what lures to use to match the hatch?
Any other topics you’d like us to cover on live bait?
Let me know down in the comments!
And if you know an angler who loves to use live bait, please TAG or SHARE this with them!
P.S. Want access to our best fishing spots and tips, plus discounts to our online tackle store? Click here to join us in the Insider Club!
STOP WASTING TIME ON THE WATER!
Do what the “SMART ANGLERS” are doing and join the Insider Club.
Here’s what you’ll receive today when you join: